Includes 6, 2 hour sessions
October 16, 23, 30 November 6, 13, 20
All Levels. Ages 12+
JC Amberlyn will teach students how to create manga-style characters and improve their drawing skills to make those characters “come to life”. The foundation for any comics-styled characters is an understanding of anatomy and this is true even for stylized characters.
Students will gain an understanding of basic human and animal anatomy and how to use that knowledge to create a convincing stylized figure. Students will practice drawing chibis (super-deformed cute characters) as well as more standard human and animal figures and learn about some of the different genres and styles within manga (Japanese comics).
The final project for the course will be developing a manga-style story of one’s own, complete with a main cast (including character sheets), the setting of their world, and a basic story plot. Students will learn how to continue improving their skills even after the class.
Drawing Manga-Style Characters. Guided by JC Amberlyn. ($36/class)
Text Book: How to Draw Manga Characters: A Beginner's Guide by JC Amberlyn
Students should bring the following to each class.
- A drawing pad with acid free paper Preferably 8x10" - 18x24"
- Tracing paper is useful, though not required.
- Drawing pencils. 2H, HB, and 2B are a good start, plus perhaps a 4 or 6B.
- If you can't get those, then any sort of fine art drawing pencils.
- Charcoal pencils and sticks can be useful too.
- Eraser. I use a kneaded eraser but any artist's eraser can work.
- Pencil sharpener.